Recently, I needed to build a query that would transform data in our database into a format that we posted to ElasticSearch. I’ll use the example of blog posts here since they’re easy for everyone to grasp. Imagine that each post can have many tags and you want one field on ElasticSearch with the tag ids and another field that has the tag names and description.
At work this week I had to speed up a background job that was clogging up our queue. This job aggregates data on records and posts to our Elastic Search index. It was suffering from all kinds of extra database calls. I had lots of fun working on this query! It’s so satisfying to make things fast.
I was recently working on a new node project, and while I was first testing things out, I committed the contents of the dist directory to git. Later on, I was getting the project set up with Docker, and I realized I didn’t want the dist in the repo as it would increase the size of the Docker image.
A couple years back I collaborated with Sheraz Khan on a couple of art projects. For a while, we had a portfolio site exhibiting our artworks but that domain recently expired.
A few months back I was working on an iOS app that delivered GIFs to users. The idea was that someone would visit one of our 3D photo booths, and get an animated avatar created. We could then render animation frames to PNGs using our custom software. The problem was that some of our animations were rather long, so we needed to crunch the gifs down to the smallest possible size.
This is the text from a talk about my video glitch work on Fido’s Mobile Music Video. Credit for making this kind of work so fun goes to UCNV for creating the AviGlitch Gem.
A year or so ago, I taught myself PHP by way of WordPress. I didn’t consider myself a developer, but I knew how to make things happen. When I learned Ruby on Rails, I was thrilled to realize that I actually understood the basic concepts of programming, and I picked up Ruby really quickly.
I am working with two of my classmates to create an API for the City of Toronto’s City Council data. We’ve spent a lot of time discussing the idea, and this week we got down to work.
This weekend I created a small, Ruby CRM application that stores contact information. You can check out my code on GitHub. While I was building this app, most people were using an array to store their contact information, but I wanted to use a Hash. I kew that theoretically Hashes are fster than Arrays, but I didn’t know why.